Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Review: Delicious Foods by James Hannaham

Delicious FoodsDelicious Foods by James Hannaham
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is one of the most original novels that I've read in a long time. Very refreshing but impactful! Quite well written with a number of really well explored themes including grief, self-medicating, race, and more. The primary narrator is very cleverly done - very unusual frame for a story but one that is quite impactful and added a great deal of creativity to the novel. The story itself was quite engaging although I feel like the pacing was off at times. There was a chunk of the novel towards the middle that felt a little too slow to me and I wished there was more to move the story along. But, other than that, this was a really great novel.

I had no idea what I was walking into with this novel and I really think that helped me to enjoy it. I was pleasantly surprised by what the novel was about as I was expecting something completely different based on the title and cover. I recommend heading into this one without a lot of information about it ... just pick it up and immerse yourself. It's definitely worth the read and it gave me a great deal to think about. Very modern and original novel that I'm so glad I read!

No comments:

Post a Comment