Monday, June 22, 2015

Review: The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma

The FishermenThe Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This novel is such a haunting novel ... heartbreaking really. The themes of sibling relationships, grief, and healing were so well explored in this one. This story so effectively reminds the reader of the power of revenge as well as the power of superstition over logic.

Chigozie Obioma has written a beautiful and well nuanced novel that I will not quickly forget. Each character is well drawn and explored. This family will remain with me for some time. The sense of place was elegantly captured by Obioma. Nigeria and the home of this family came alive for me. I felt as if I could see, hear and breathe in the scents through the beautiful language.

It's not a fast paced novel but one that moves slowly and elegantly. I definitely recommend this one and can't wait to read more of Chigozie Obioma's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment