Thursday, June 25, 2015

Review: The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld

The EnchantedThe Enchanted by Rene Denfeld
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This may be one of the most beautifully written novels that I've read in some time. A friend wrote in her review that this book expresses her desire "to see each person, no matter how damaged, as human" which is a perfect description of this novel. It's exploration of violence, abuse and the prison system is simply stunning. The language just WOW'd me. Denfeld's ability to paint a picture with words is simply breathtaking. There were moments that the descriptions left me stunned. I highlighted a TON of passages while reading (which I rarely do anymore since I've begun reading so much via my e-reader).

There is so much in this novel - the damage we do to one another, our path to redemption, our ability to face what's done to us and come out ok, justice, the realities of the legal system. And it's all so interesting and thought-provoking. It's in no way happy or bright but rather dark, heavy and intense. It's not for everyone. If darkness makes you uncomfortable, I'd recommend that you skip this one. There are some moments of light - particularly within the poetic descriptions and some pieces that are ultimately about the triumph of the human spirit.

I can't do this novel justice, no matter what I write. But, it's simply one of the most moving books I've read in ages. Heartbreaking but poetic. It has stuck with me and I suspect it will continue to do so for some time. I highly recommend this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment