Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Review: Corregidora by Gayl Jones

CorregidoraCorregidora by Gayl Jones
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I heard someone on a podcast (perhaps Book Riot?) mention this as one of those books that will tear you into 100 pieces and devastate you. And now that I've completed it, I completely understand the recommendation. This is a very, very dark novel. One that really is devastating to the reader. The anger and pain in this novel really get into your head as you read. You FEEL it. You experience it. I don't think I can do this one justice in a review. The story explores the long-lasting impact of slavery and violence. It is an intense book that won't be for everyone. There are very intense scenes of violence and sex that may not be for all readers. I definitely recommend this one, particularly if you're a fan of Toni Morrison. There are a lot of similarities between this novel and some of Morrison's work. If you're interested in the exploration of post-slavery feminine identity, I think this might be a good novel for you. Really beautiful and horrific novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment