Thursday, May 7, 2015

Review: All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews

All My Puny SorrowsAll My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I had such big expectations for this novel but I really struggled with it. The themes are right down my alley but something about the execution just didn't quite work for me. I did like how the themes of depression, sisterhood and suicide were explored throughout the novel but I found the novel's voice to be less fluid than I would have liked. I'm having a hard time really capturing what my issues were with this novel other than to say it just didn't work for me. It felt like work to read this one and that ultimately took away from the overall impact of the novel. Where it should have made me feel sad, I just didn't feel much of anything. I never felt that I connected with the story, the characters or anything else. In the end, this one just didn't work for me. I've heard such great things about Miriam Toews and I am eager to pick up something else from her work despite the fact that this one just wasn't what I'd hoped it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment