Thursday, May 21, 2015

Quick Reviews

Here are a few quick reviews of books I've read lately but haven't had time to review in detail - I'm heading on vacation later this week so I won't be posting for a week or two but I should get lots of reading done so look for lots of reviews coming up in early June!

The Bluest EyeThe Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

OK, I get it now. This was my first foray into Toni Morrison's work and now I get it. She's amazing. Her ability to paint a picture with words is just stellar. The themes that she explores in this novel are so important - as important today as it was when she published this novel. If you've been intimidated by Toni Morrison (as I have been after trying to read Beloved in high school), this is a great place to start. This was a wonderful exploration of beauty, womanhood, love and the internalization of hate. I highly recommend this one! I can't wait to work my way through all of her novels!

The Walls Around UsThe Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Very well written YA novel - dark, twisty and engaging! So glad I'm not a teenager any more! Very disturbing novel but disturbing in the best way! Didn't want to put this one down! Very well conceived and delivered! I am looking forward to reading more of Nova Ren Suma's work! Very smart and nuanced YA! Definitely recommend this one (and the cover is so beautiful, right??)!


View all my reviews The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace: A Brilliant Young Man Who Left Newark for the Ivy LeagueThe Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace: A Brilliant Young Man Who Left Newark for the Ivy League by Jeff Hobbs
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a really engaging read that explores some really important things. I think it's a book that most people will enjoy - it's very well written narrative non-fiction. Such a tragic story that I highly recommend!



Where Women Are KingsWhere Women Are Kings by Christie Watson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Although this isn't a perfect book, I really think it was a really engaging read that I truly didn't want to put down. I'll try to do a more robust review some time but I did want to recommend it. There is a lot of thoughtful exploration of themes here - faith, child abuse, foster care, adoption, mental illness and more. Really glad that I read this one.


The Mistake (Off-Campus, #2)The Mistake by Elle Kennedy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Really enjoying this new adult romance series.







Overruled (The Legal Briefs, #1)Overruled by Emma Chase
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The first in a new series - I really enjoyed this romance. I enjoyed that part of it took place in DC which is close to home for me!






Chase Me (Broke and Beautiful, #1)Chase Me by Tessa Bailey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another new to me series that I'm really enjoying.







Need Me (Broke and Beautiful, #2)Need Me by Tessa Bailey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the second in Tessa Bailey's Broke and Beautiful series. Really liking these!






No comments:

Post a Comment