Monday, July 21, 2014

Review: Vampires in the Lemon Grove: Stories by Karen Russell

Vampires in the Lemon Grove: StoriesVampires in the Lemon Grove: Stories by Karen Russell
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

It absolutely KILLS me to rate a Karen Russell book of stories this low but I have to be honest ... this collection did not do it for me. In fact, I really only enjoyed the first two stories in the collection. I loved the title story - Vampires in the Lemon Grove - as well as the second which was about silkworms. That was also a really fascinating story that captivated my imagination. However, for the rest of the collection, I was frustrated and forcing myself to read them just to get finished with the book. The ideas she puts together are SO creative ... but some of them just didn't come together for me.

I should also add that short stories are not my favorite genre and I am often frustrated by them. Very rarely does a short story really resonate with me - it happens but rarely. I'm sad to say that this collection was not for me! But, if you love Karen Russell OR short stories that are outside the box, this definitely might be a collection for you to try out!

No comments:

Post a Comment