Saturday, July 5, 2014

Review: The Chopped Cookbook by Food Network Kitchens

The Chopped Cookbook: Use What You've Got to Cook Something GreatThe Chopped Cookbook: Use What You've Got to Cook Something Great by Food Network Kitchens
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm a huge Chopped fan! It's one of my go-to cooking shows and I love seeing what the chefs are able to create with the baskets. So, when I saw that there was a Chopped cookbook, I was all in!

This is a beautifully produced book - all of the photos are really great, very well designed graphics, and the overall graphic design of the cookbook is fantastic.

I think the books is well designed with a focus on using what you have available to create amazing dishes (which is really the focus of Chopped)! And I think this is a great cookbook for those with very little cooking experience and those that are more advanced since this is much more than just a bunch of recipes. There is a big focus on tips and ways to use what you might have on hand to make outstanding meals. Each section of the cookbook outlines new ways to use what you have! Which I think is why this cookbook is so successful!

Some of my favorite things about this cookbook include -

1. The plethora of tips throughout the book - some from our favorite Chopped judges and others just to outline a specific use for something or a cool tip to try!

2.Sections such as Play with your Pasta which outline ways to make a number of pasta sauces or Have Fun with your Frittata which demonstrates interesting combos to make yummy frittatas! Another favorite was Ten Fun Pan Sauces!

3. There is an entire section on cooking vegetables with lots of different options and flavor combinations. I often struggle with finding new and interesting ways to make veggies for our family so I love this section since it's so useful!

4. As I am trying to include more grains in our family meals, I love that there is a whole section on cooking grains. I know that will come in handy.

I have very few complaints about this cookbook but I'll share what did come to mind ...

1. I wish there was a photo for EVERY recipe in the book. I find that so helpful when I'm flipping through and trying to find something that strikes my interest. There are recipes here that I'd love to see a photo of before I decide if I want to make it.

2. I didn't see the nutritional information for any of the recipes which would have been a nice addition.

All in all, I'm really impressed by this cookbook and can't wait to get into the kitchen and cook! If you are a fan of the Chopped TV show, I definitely think you'll enjoy this cookbook. But, if you aren't, you may well still enjoy this one! It's a new favorite of mine and I highly recommend it!

NOTE: I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review. However, my feelings about this book are 100% genuine, regardless of receiving it for review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment