Monday, March 25, 2013

Review: The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff

The Monsters Of TempletonThe Monsters Of Templeton by Lauren Groff
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As I am sitting here to write this review, I'm finding this book to be a really difficult book to explain. I really liked it quite a bit but I'm not entirely sure that I can capture in words the why. I found the story and the characters to be engrossing. The story kind of meandered all over the place but I never found that difficult or off putting. The weaving of the past and the present was actually really well done. I enjoyed trying to pull all of the pieces together as I read. It's not a difficult novel but it does require the reader to pay attention in order to really see the various pieces come together. I found myself going back to earlier sections as I read, needing to remind myself of this or that to keep the pieces and parts together.

It seems that many other readers cite a lack of characterization or weak narrative in their reviews but I didn't find either of those to be an issue in my reading of the novel. I found the themes around motherhood as well as the mother/daughter dynamic to be really compelling. I also really enjoyed the monster piece of the storyline - I think it was a nice addition to the overall story.

Although I really enjoyed this novel, I'm fairly certain that this isn't a novel that will work for everyone. It's a bit meandering and at times offbeat. It's definitely not for everyone. But, for me, it was a really engrossing read and makes me look forward to reading more of Lauren Groff's work!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment