Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Review: Alice Bliss by Laura Harrington

Alice BlissAlice Bliss by Laura Harrington
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book had such potential ... the premise sounded so wonderful. And I understand why so many seem to love it. But, I just didn't love it that way. I liked it. It was a solid read but it didn't capture me the way that I'd imagined it would. I think the story is very contemporary and that it's an important one to be told but the flaws kept what could be great from actually being great.

The characters were very well written. I found them all to be complex, interesting and compelling. The relationships among them is where this novel really shines. There were moment of magic when the characters came together in certain ways. Alice's relationship with her father as well as her relationship with her uncle are two relationships that captured something very real and important. That is such a wonderful part of this novel - the relationships that gave Alice what she needed as she takes her journey.

So what were the things that I didn't love? Well, the pacing seemed off to me so I never really felt compelled to keep reading from chapter to chapter. Although I liked the characters and the story, I just never felt that the story grabbed me in the way you want a story to grab you. The timing/pacing and the story itself felt disjointed ... almost alien from each other in some ways. Sometimes it came together effortlessly and other times it was so disjointed that I wondered why I was continuing to read.

However, this book is worth reading, in my opinion, since the story needs to be told & the relationships are really well written. There are definitely moments of magic in this novel which make up for the flaws, in my opinion. Can't wait to see what Laura Harrington has for us in the future!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment