Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Review: Straight Man by Richard Russo

Straight Man 









Straight Man by Richard Russo

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I think I may have mentioned this a few times before but I am a huge Russo fan and tend to love every word that he writes. This is yet another solid Russo novel that I really enjoyed. However, I did not love it nearly as much as Empire Falls, Bridge of Sighs, etc. Perhaps it was due to the fact that its really more of a comedic novel which usually isn't my favorite kind of novel. I find that humor can translate oddly in a novel so I often don't find the same things funny as others do. However, there were some absolutely hilarious moments in this novel. Moments that had me laughing out loud which is very unusual for me.

Funny, satirical, and ultimately quite clever. I really enjoyed the pacing of the novel and felt the characters were very memorable. Not particularly realistic in some ways (nor was the plot, frankly) but it was so entertaining that I really didn't care about that! I just enjoyed the process of seeing what the heck he had planned for me next.

Really funny, really engaging and I almost felt like I was able to see a new side of Russo through this novel. I love his writing style and Straight Man is a great escape!

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment