Friday, July 23, 2010

Review: Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

Interpreter of Maladies 










Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I've heard so many wonderful things about this short story collection that I was eager to see if it would help me get over my usual reaction to short stories which is typically less than positive. The short story just doesn't typically appeal to me and my reading sensibilities. I rarely feel satisfied by a short story. I think I'm just more suited for the novel.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about this collection. There were a few stories that were WONDERFUL and others that were ehhh. I would say that I loved 2 or 3 and the rest were just not my cup of tea. I will say that they were all very well written. Lahiri is an amazing writer. She knows how to put words together in a very compelling way. However, some of the stories just didn't interest me and I couldn't get past that and into enjoying the story.

If you love well-written stories and the short story is interesting to you, then I definitely recommend this collection. However, I couldn't help but feel a bit let down as I closed the book as I ultimately feel as if the collection was just a tad bit overrated.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment