Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Review: The Wildling Sisters by Eve Chase

The Wildling SistersThe Wildling Sisters by Eve Chase
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book really surprised me. It’s a gothic tale that shifts from the 1950s to present day. It centers on Applecote Manor in the English countryside. There are all the elements of a gothic novel – an estate with a mysterious history, strange rumors, and interesting characters that leave you guessing. Eve Chase’s writing is beautiful and she’s able to so effectively weave a plot of suspense with this novel. The sense of intrigue combined with an air of foreboding just permeates the book, page after page. I didn’t want to put it down. It just kept drawing me deeper and deeper into the narrative. The characters are interesting and thoughtfully written. I enjoyed how the weaving of time was handled. It really effectively helped keep the sense of unease going throughout the novel. The primary focus of the novel is ultimately around family relationships and dynamics. How these things play out and impact everyone so differently. The characters were all well drawn but the way that Chase made Applecote Manor a character in its own right was done brilliantly. It felt as real to me as any of the characters. All in all, a wonderful novel with suspense, mystery and a family saga all rolled into one! Highly recommend this one particularly if you’re a fan of the gothic novel!

NOTE: Thank you to the publisher for providing me with a free ARC of this novel for an honest review.

2 comments:

  1. I am reading Black Rabbit Hall by this author and really like it, after reading your review I am going to try this one next..thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to pick Black Rabbit Hall up. I hope you enjoy this one!

      Delete