Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Review: Supermarket Healthy by Melissa d'Arabian

Supermarket Healthy: Recipes and Know-How for Eating Well Without Spending a LotSupermarket Healthy: Recipes and Know-How for Eating Well Without Spending a Lot by Melissa d'Arabian
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This rating makes me so sad because I love Melissa d'Arabian and was so hoping this would be a great cookbook for our family. Perhaps I'm not the right person for it and that's why it didn't resonate? I'm not sure but this one just didn't wow me.

It is definitely a well produced book.The paper is fine, the book binding is also fine. The photography is really good - I enjoyed the overall design of the cookbook.

I think that what I wasn't a fan of is really the types of dishes explored in this book. I was viewing this as a resource for our family - a cookbook to help me find interesting dishes that won't break the bank. Dishes geared towards families. And I didn't find the dishes featured to be particularly family friendly in some places. Although my family is far from picky, I had a hard time finding anything here that isn't either already on our usual dinner list (things I already cook) or things that I felt like my kids would enjoy.

In my reviews of cookbooks, I always try to outline the recipes that caught my eye but I'm having a hard time doing that with this cookbook. I am going to go through and pick a couple of things to try despite their not initially jumping out at me and I hope that will help me begin to find more value in this one.

I suggest that you take a look at this one in a bookstore before purchasing to be sure that what you see offered here is something you're interested in. I'm really bummed that I didn't love this one given how much I enjoy d'Arabian's show on the Food Network!

NOTE: This book was offered to me for free by the publisher for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment