Friday, February 20, 2015

Mini Reviews

I've been really busy and haven't had time to write the more detailed reviews that I typically shared but I still wanted to share my thoughts on a few of the books that I have read lately ... hence, the mini reviews ...

ChesapeakeChesapeake by James A. Michener
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is my first Michener novel and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't a quick read due to its size but the stories within this novel were informative and interesting! Michener does an amazing job of including all the detail you could ever want without weighing it down and making it boring. I love the Chesapeake and spent almost every summer of my entire life on the Bay so this novel was a true home run for me. The only reason it's 4 stars is that the last couple of parts of the novel weren't nearly as interesting as the first 3/4 of the book. It felt as if they were weighed down in some way and much less compelling. However, the success of the first 3/4 of the novel makes it well worth the read!

Ugly LoveUgly Love by Colleen Hoover
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have had a number of bookish friends recommend that I read Colleen Hoover so I picked this one up to giver her a try. And, WOW, I am so happy that I did. Although this novel is technically a romance novel, it's so much more than that. Colleen Hoover can write - it's not deep literary fiction but it's really well written romance. I was really surprised by how much I loved this novel and how much Hoover made me FEEL as I read it.

This book just killed me. Had me sobbing on the couch as I read ... in that way that only a great romance can do! These characters were really compelling and I enjoyed the story quite a bit. All in all, a great read! I read it in almost one sitting - I could not put it down!

Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My second Colleen Hoover novel and another great read! Although I didn't love this one quite as much as the last, this one was also fantastic! If you want unique romance that is well written, interesting and keeps you emotionally compelled, I have to recommend this and/or Colleen Hoover.

I'm grabbing up more of her work because I'm so happy with the first two reads! I read this in just a day ... immensely readable, fascinating, and kept me on the edge of my seat! Definitely recommend!


No comments:

Post a Comment