Monday, February 2, 2015

Review: Glory O'Brien's History of the Future by A.S. King

Glory O'Brien's History of the FutureGlory O'Brien's History of the Future by A.S. King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Now THIS is what YA should be ... A.S. King is one of the best YA authors that I've read. She writes realistic characters that feel true to life. I found the themes of this novel to be particularly interesting given what sort of future it imagines, particularly given the political issues of today. This novel was thoughtful, well written, and gave me a great deal to think about. This is a novel that I think most teenage girls would get a lot out of ... it's entertaining AND intellectually stimulating.

I have read one other novel by King but I plan to dig in to some of her other novels soon. She's such a breath of fresh air to me. This novel has some magical realism that is critical to the overall plot and I found it to be very reasonable and understandable within the context of the overall story. I'm not usually a fan of magical realism but when it's done this well, I really enjoy it.

I highly recommend this to teens and adults alike! Really good book!

No comments:

Post a Comment