Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Review: Descent by Tim Johnston

Descent: A NovelDescent: A Novel by Tim Johnston
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I can't recommend this book more highly! What a fantastic, thrilling ride! It's not really like any book I've ever read before in many ways. It's definitely a thriller but its so much more! It's a book that sucks you in and holds onto you until the very end! I found myself staying up for one more chapter over and over until I was up way past my bedtime!

One of my favorite aspects of the book is how the Rocky Mountains come alive for the reader - in fact, I'd say that they are very much their very own character in this novel. The author just brings the mountains alive. I literally felt that I was THERE despite the fact that I've never visited the Rocky Mountains.

The characters totally came to life for me - with all of their flaws and humanity. None of them are trite representations of people - they are all well thought out and truly brought to life by Tim Johnston's beautiful writing. His ability to tell a great story is what keeps this novel above most thrillers I've read. There is something very raw about this one, a rawness that made me feel like I was there in the story as I read.

I'm only giving it 4 stars for one reason only - there was a piece of the ending (which I won't in any way spoil for you) that just didn't work for me and it ended up standing out so much that I felt it didn't stay true to the story. Just a small thing but it's stuck with me and I didn't feel ok with giving it 5 stars considering that flaw. But, all in all, this is a fantastic book that I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys thrillers or just good storytelling! This one is well worth the read!

This book will be released January 6, 2015 and I definitely recommend that you add it to your TBR and grab it when it comes out!

NOTE: Thank you to the publisher for providing an advanced reader copy of this novel for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment