Saturday, August 23, 2014

Review - The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

The Girl with All the GiftsThe Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I didn't know a lot about this novel before I started it but I had heard some very vague good things so I thought I'd give it a shot. And I'm so glad that I did. The world and characters created by M.R. Carey in this novel are fantastic! I'm not going to tell you much about the book because I think not knowing much going in was a positive thing and allowed me to enjoy the book all the more as it all unfolded.

The girl mentioned in the title, Melanie, is a fantastic character that really came alive for me. She truly is the centerpiece of the novel and her relationship with a teacher is one of the most beautiful things I've read about in a very long time.

This book has a lot of suspense and action which make it feel like the reading experience is flying by! I never felt bored or a sense of dread. Although eager to see what would unfold, I enjoyed the entire experience getting there.

I found the early 1/3 of the book to be my personal favorite although the entire book is worth the read. This book is a really fantastic read that really challenges the reader to think about what it is to be human and to evaluate how we treat others. Highly recommended! I will note that this could be classified as horror and there is some of that but it's such a well written, well plotted book that I have a hard time calling it horror. There is some horror but I think it's well done and not in any way gratuitous. I think it's a book that will appeal to almost anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment