Saturday, August 2, 2014

Review: Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

Annihilation (Southern Reach Trilogy, #1)Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I really struggled with this novel. After hearing so many raves about it, I think I was expecting much more than I actually found during reading it. I just didn't 'get' it. I am not sure what I missed but I never connected with the story, the world created by the author or the characters. I kept waiting to 'get' it but I never did.

This is the kind of book that would typically be right up my alley but I found this one a bit lacking. I felt very in the dark throughout the reading and I really don't feel like I ever came into the light. And that is part of the problem for me ... knowing it's a trilogy, I didn't expect the author to give it all away in this novel. But, give me SOMETHING so I can feel grounded in the world and to help me to care what is happening in that world. But, I never really connected to the story or the world being built. As a result, I just didn't find the novel to live up to the hype.

I don't think I'll be reading future books in the trilogy. I think this one is worth a read if you find the description interesting since so many people have loved it. However, it just didn't work for me. I really hope it will work for you. The upside is that it's a fairly short book so you can give it a shot without having to invest a ton of time and reading energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment