Sunday, June 19, 2011

Review: This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

This Is Where I Leave YouThis Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Let me say up front that this is not a book for everyone ... but for me, it was OUTSTANDING! It's wry, sarcastic, witty and unabashedly profane! I loved every moment of the novel. The pacing of the book is fast as is the dialogue! It's ultimately a wild ride that takes you all over the place but leaves you feeling satisfied. I think this is one of those books that could be characterized as 'guy lit' but its so much more! I found myself relating to many of the characters (the fertility issues come to mind) and even seeing people from my life in the characters (good and bad). I loved that the characters were flawed and real. Nothing fake about any of them. They were real and their interactions felt very real to life.

Tropper's ability to combine the heartbreaking with the hilarious is what really brings the novel to life. Let's face it ... that IS life. I found that the novel brought out some incredible observations about loss, disappointment, growing up, messing up and redeeming yourself. Once you look behind the sarcasm and wit, you find something very deep and beautiful about how we live our lives. I really love this one!

I recommend it to anyone who is not put off by sarcasm, sexually explicitness, edgy/profane language. If those things bother you or offend you, this is one you should skip. However, if you're up for all of those things, then grab this one immediately ... you will NOT regret it!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment