Sunday, June 12, 2011

Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons WhyThirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm wondering if my take on this book was impacted by all of the buzz it got. I was expecting something amazing and found something that was just good. And this is a good book. But, it's nothing special or life altering.

The alternating points of view bothered me a bit. I had trouble following who was who as I moved through the book. Perhaps due to reading it as an ebook, perhaps the formatting was off? There was no way to tell the difference between narrators which I found annoying at best.The point of view issue really took this from a 4 to a 3 for me. I really wish there had been a better method for the alternating ...

I also had a difficult time connecting to Hannah which I think might have made the book more enjoyable for me. I just didn't particularly care for her. I didn't find very much depth in the character which I think could have really helped the book. She was the central character and yet there wasn't much there. I also didn't find a connection with any of the other characters. They were literally just words on a page for me so the impact that they were supposed to have was minimal at best.

I think the subject matter was handled well and Asher told a good story with a fantastic message. This book presents a complex and thought-provoking story and its definitely a good, solid read. It just isn't all that I had hoped it would be.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment