Sunday, February 13, 2011

Review: Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok

Girl in TranslationGirl in Translation by Jean Kwok

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was such a nice surprise for me ... I wasn't entirely sure what to expect with this one but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it! It's such a readable book, I plowed through it very quickly. It's an easy but compelling read.

I thought that it was an excellent exploration into what its like to be a new immigrant to America, with little money and resources. It gave me a new perspective on how difficult it must be, particularly for children and teenagers as they maneuver through school. The difficulty understanding the nuances of language, the difficulty of making and keeping friends, the difficulty in fitting in.

The characters are so vivid that they just jump off of the page. The emotional impact of the novel is what is really sticking with me ... the relationship between Kimberly and her mother, their struggles, their triumphs. Their story was fascinating and I didn't want it to end.

This was a well-written book with great character development and story line that kept me turning the page late into the night. I didn’t want the book to end. I hope that we'll see a lot more from Jean Kwok in the future. This is a book that I would recommend for anyone. It's a fantastic read!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment