Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Review: The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson

The Almost SistersThe Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have not always had luck with Joshilyn Jackson’s novels. They don’t tend to resonate with me. And so … I think this one may be my favorite of her novels so far. Although on the surface, this novel is about a woman who feels a bit lost going home to care for her grandmother and figure out her next step, it’s really so much more. It explores family in a really interesting way. It also really effectively explores prejudice in a variety of ways. The family relationships and how the secrets of the family members come together is really interesting. The characters were a stand out for me – they were each so quirky and interesting … much like real people. The exploration of the south is really well done here – the contrast between the ‘southern hospitality’ it’s known for and the underbelly of racism and secrets that often come to the surface. I loved the comic book aspect of this book – it was something new and interesting that I think added that something special to the narrative. The blend of crisis and humor that Jackson inundates the story with really made the reading experience a good one. All in all, I really liked it and recommend it. Even if you’re not a huge fan of her previous work, give this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment