Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Review: Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward

Sing, Unburied, SingSing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I’m really worried that I’m not going to be able to do this book justice with a review. It’s one of the best books I’ve read in a while. This is a novel about the south, about parenting, about racism, about growing up, about ghosts – especially those inside of us, and it’s about heartache. It’s all these things and more. It’s raw and unflinching. It’s gritty and atmospheric. It’s so beautifully written – Jesmyn Ward is one of my favorite writers and this is some of the best of her work! If you’re looking for something light and breezy, steer clear. If you’re looking for something that will push you to think a little harder and care a little more, then pick this one up. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the place and characters that Jesmyn Ward explores in this book. This book is a punch in the gut but the best punch in the gut you can have. The characters come alive – there is an intimacy in the way that Ward writes her characters. I felt as if I knew them, lived with them, felt them. Jojo will stay with me for some time. A child forced to become a man and care for himself and his sister. A child who is drowning in parental neglect and abuse yet finds solace with his grandparents who love him. The touches of magical realism (specifically, ghosts) were so beautifully done. Each of these ghosts tell a story that will break your heart. The exploration of drugs, violence and racism and its impact on one family is superb. This one spoke to me. I’d like to go back and read it again because it was so beautiful that I just know that I’ve missed some of it in just one reading. It’s an intense read that has many pieces that are painful to read. But, that darkness and pain is worth it given how engrossing it is. It’s a beautifully told story that you won’t forget. Jesmyn Ward is an amazing storyteller. You can’t go wrong with this one … it’s just magnificent!

NOTE: The publisher provided me with an ARC of this novel for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment