Thursday, January 26, 2017

Review: Dare Me by Megan Abbott

Dare MeDare Me by Megan Abbott
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I had such high expectations for this novel since so many people have said this is Megan Abbott's best novel. So, perhaps I went in with too high of expectations. It's definitely good. And definitely a good example of Megan Abbott's ability to bring young adults to life on the page. But, I'm not sure I'd say it was the best of her novels that I've read (which is only 3).

The book revolves around the world of high school cheerleading and part of my issue with the book is that it didn't ring true to me in terms of cheerleading. I also didn't think it did as good a job of capturing the 'voice' of the teenager as some of the other books of hers that I've read. Some of the language felt very off to me.

My biggest issue was with the plot was that it ultimately didn't feel realistic. The twists weren't very twisty. The weaving of the story didn't feel effective. I just didn't love it.

If you're a Megan Abbott fan, definitely read this one since it's one that is always mentioned in combination with her name. But, I think that You Will Know Me is a much better book overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment