Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Review: The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

The Underground RailroadThe Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was so excited when I heard about this book. I love the concept as well as the execution! All in all, this was a darn good book! I love this idea of the Underground Railroad being an actual railway to take fugitive slaves to other places. Really interesting concept that I enjoyed exploring. I have read a great number of slave narratives in the last few years and I really think this one was quite good. It gave me a lot to think about. It explored so many aspects of race and the hope inherent in the immense suffering of slavery. I think it brought the slave experience (as well as the African Amercian experience) to life in it's pages. Whitehead is such a good writer and I think he does very well with this subject. I could tell he did incredible amounts of research which really made the story feel grounded and real.

This isn't an easy read - there are great horrors within it - but it's something we all need to understand and witness. These very horrors are still impacting our country today. We need to understand and acknowlege their impact if we ever hope to get beyond it. I think this is a fantastic and thoughtful read. I can't recommend it more highly! Go pick up this one! It's so good!

NOTE: I recieved an ARC of this novel from the publisher for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment