Saturday, July 2, 2011

Review: Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1)Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really wanted to love this book ... the premise alone was right up my alley! And it was a good book ... very solid. But, it wasn't fantastic. It didn't blow my socks off. These end of the world type novels are always intriguing to me and this one was a pretty good one.

I thought that the actual premise was good and that the storyline itself was very effective. I was intrigued enough to keep reading. The writing was good. The character development was also very good. I think that the novel moved more slowly than it needed to which decreased its overall effectiveness. I think the same plot points could have been covered with less words. There isn't a lot of excitement or adventure in this story which may have contributed to the feeling of slowness. I found a bit of the actual world ending details to be less than stellar. It's not quite as feasible as its written. There are holes in the plot but I was able to overlook that most of the time. In the end, this novel gave me a great deal to think about and it sucked me into the story and has me eager for the next chapter in the series!

Overall, I enjoyed this one. I plan to read the next in the series as I'm intrigued by what might be coming next. I recommend this one if you like end of the world type novels ... this is a solid one.

View all my reviews

1 comment: