Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Review: A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

A Visit from the Goon Squad 









A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This novel is a mixed bag for me ... in some ways it was more of a 2 but in others it was more of a 4. So, I split the difference and am giving it a 3!


All in all, I found this to be a very readable novel. I was never bored. I never struggled with any aspect of reading it. I found the creative use of format throughout the novel to be interesting and kept me reading, curious to see what might come my way next. I really enjoyed the unorthodox-ness of the entire book - the format, the characters, the movement of the narrative, and even the prose itself! All of that deserves a strong 4!

Now for what I didn't find quite so interesting ... I found the unusual format of narrative to be confusing and sometimes difficult to follow. I worked it out but it wasn't always easy! And sometimes I felt that the work to keep it straight wasn't ultimately worth it. The characters were not compelling to me. It was difficult for me to care much about quite a few of them. I don't usually mind unlikeable characters but given the difficulty following the narrative, the character payoff just wasn't great for me.


All in all, an interesting read! I'm glad I read it but I'm not sure that I agree with all the raves that I'm seeing in reviews. I found that it was interesting enough to keep me reading but it fell flat in the end. It just wasn't as successful as it could have been.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment