Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) 









Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This book has gotten a lot of buzz in the book community but it took me awhile to get to it. I read this one via audiobook. And, in the end, I really enjoyed it. Was it perfect? No. But, it was surprisingly good. I know that there have been a lot of Twilight comparisons which I understand. However, this book is entirely different from that series. Really quite different.

First and foremost, I was surprised how much better written this book was than I'd expected. Maggie Stiefvater is a good writer and really did a very good job with this novel. It could have been too sugary and sweet but I never really felt that way.

I really enjoyed the story and the characters. They were both quite well done. And in many ways, I loved the relationship between Sam and Grace much more than that of Bella and Edward. The other characters were also quite well done. I thought that Stiefvater really captured the entire first love storyline well and made it realistic and interesting. I was really quite surprised how non-cheesy the love story was in this novel.

The audio was pretty good. Nothing stellar but certainly fine. I liked the alternating voices for Sam and Grace. I think both of the actors/speakers did a really good job. A good solid audiobook!

I stayed engaged throughout the book. I thought it was a nice, sweet novel about love and friendship. Although not perfect, I think its a solid YA read. I'm really glad that I read it and I will definitely seek out the next book, Linger.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment