Sunday, August 15, 2010

Review: Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin

Alice I Have Been










Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Although I'd heard great things about this book, I was weary about reading it ... worried about how compelling it could possibly be. Well, I had no need to worry. This book was really very good. The story was so interesting ... I knew very little about the beginnings of Alice in Wonderland or Lewis Carroll. This book really surprised me in the most pleasant way possible.

This novel tells the story of Alice Liddell Hargreaves, a little girl that inspired Lewis Carroll, aka Charles Dodgson, to write his novel Alice in Wonderland. This novel focuses on the story of Alice's life as a child, a young woman and an older woman.

The story is so well written and absolutely engrossing. I was pleasantly surprised at how taken I was with the stories and the characters. I think Melanie Benjamin managed the storytelling so well! The pacing was very good as was the character development. The two complemented one another so well.
I found this novel to be fascinating ... leading me to go Google more about Lewis Carroll and Alice in order to find out as much as I could about the people I met in the novel. I just couldn't get Alice out of my mind. I found her story to be captivating! I definitely recommend this novel!

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment