Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Review: The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel

The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True HermitThe Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Yes, the story sounds fascinating … and it is. A man lives alone in the woods of Maine for 27 years. The details of what he did and how he did it were definitely fascinating. But, what I loved most was the exploration of solitude and hermits. The exploration of why someone might want to be alone, completely alone. The examination of community is spot on and really gave me so much to think about. As an introvert, I found this entire theme to be fascinating and illuminating.

The story will definitely wow you but the exploration of the why and how really what I think makes the book excel. I couldn’t help but to feel for Christopher Knight – a man searching for contentment, a way to live in the world that felt true to him. I can’t help but wonder what will happen to him and how he’ll find his way in the world. This isn’t a difficult or dense book – it’s a fairly quick read. I definitely think it’s worth the read and recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment