Monday, December 12, 2016

Review: Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady's Guide to Sex, Marriage, and Manners by Therese Oneill

Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady's Guide to Sex, Marriage, and MannersUnmentionable: The Victorian Lady's Guide to Sex, Marriage, and Manners by Therese Oneill
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I love the idea of this book! I had always thought to myself how life in Victorian times didn't do much for me because of the potential for grossness that I figured life offered at the time. And this book helped give me example after example of just that! It's a funny yet interesting look at life in Victorian times - from clothing to medicine to bathing to other unmentionables ... this book covers it all. And in detail. Oneill really makes the subject matter interesting and compelling. The photos in the book are fantastic and really bring life to the book! If nothing else, this book reiterated to me that I'm extremely thankful to have been born in this time ... life in Victorian times was frankly gross and infuriating! Although we tend to love literature from the time, this dose of what life was really like opened my eyes in ways I couldn't have imagined!

I highly recommend this book, especially if you're a fan of the Victorian time period or history in general! This was a really funny look at a time that most of us think we already know ... but we really don't!

No comments:

Post a Comment