Thursday, December 20, 2012

Review: The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

The Light Between OceansThe Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book came out of nowhere for me but I'm so glad that it did. I'd heard about it hear and there but nothing about whether or not it was good. And I knew it was historical fiction about a lighthouse - neither of which were screaming out to me to read it! But, then a friend mentioned that she loved it so I thought I'd give it a shot. And, wow! I really loved this book. It's definitely in my top 10 favorites of the year!

The emotional impact of this book cannot be overstated. That is what made it stand out for me. It made me FEEL something. I even cried - several times. This is a well written, well plotted novel. The characters are outstanding. I came to care for them all. The author does a great job of making them come alive for the reader. The setting is as much a character as any of the people. And the author makes that time and place come alive in a way that I found fascinating.

I would have a difficult time thinking of anything that I didn't enjoy about this novel. It all comes together beautifully. I didn't find it to be slow as I think others have said in their reviews. I felt the pacing was fine. It's not a fast moving novel but certainly not a slow one either.

But, in the end, it is the story and the emotional reaction that it produced in me that I think has stuck with me since finishing the book. I cannot wait to see what M.L. Stedman has in store for us in the future!

I cannot recommend this book enough! I think it's a great book for anyone who enjoys a good story. And I definitely think this could be a great book club book since there is a lot of interesting stuff to discuss with this novel.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment