Monday, August 6, 2012

Review: Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante

Turn of MindTurn of Mind by Alice LaPlante
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book had such a great premise ... so I was excited to dig in & become engrossed. Unfortunately, reading this one was difficult from the start. I'm not sure why but I never connected with this novel. I had to make myself keep reading it. It isn't that its a BAD book because it isn't. It just isn't a great book. It's an okay book. The concept is so promising but the execution just didn't live up to my expectations. I think that Alice LaPlante did a great job of telling the story from the perspective of someone with Alzheimer's - sometimes she was lucid and other times she was completely out of it. Although disorienting for me as a reader, I think it was an effective technique to help me understand what it was like to be the main character.

The plot itself wasn't particularly strong and there were pieces and parts that I had a hard time believing because of the lack of exploration into certain relationships which may have helped to make the plot stronger. I had a really hard time believing that some of the actions and events in the book were possible given what little we know about the various characters. It made the novel's believability suffer for me.

All in all, it was an okay book. But, I didn't love it and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a personal connection to Alzheimer's and want to explore that aspect of this novel. That is the strongest part of the novel and worth a read if its specifically of interest to you.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment