Saturday, March 10, 2012

Review: Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson

Between, GeorgiaBetween, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

All in all, I don't think this one lived up to its potential. It's a unabashedly southern novel. The story was compelling, the writing was fine, and I liked the wacky characters. But, there was something missing and I'm just not able to put my finger on it. Although I liked the story and the characters, the novel just always felt separate and out there. It never felt real. It never came alive for me. I found the novel to have some extremely slow areas and other areas were raced through entirely too fast. There were things I wish had been explored less and other things that I wish had been explored more. In the end, it left me feeling unsatisfied in some way. Sad almost that it didn't go to the places that I'd hoped it would go. This is my second Joshilyn Jackson novel and I felt this exact same ambivalence about that one. I'm wondering if perhaps Joshilyn Jackson's writing just isn't for me. I'm going to read one more before I decide to definitively give up on her. However, I really can't strongly recommend this one. It's okay. I think that there are so many other novels that do southern fiction so much better ... perhaps pick one of those up instead of this one!

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to read something by Joshilyn Jackson for forever. But I don't think I'll start with this one. :)

    ReplyDelete