Sunday, February 26, 2012

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Divergent, #1)Divergent by Veronica Roth

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this first book in a new YA dystopian series! It grabbed me right away and didn't let go until the end. Although there were flaws, I gave this one 5 stars for keeping me engaged & not wanting to put it down for a moment. It's a great read with excellent pacing.

I was impressed with how well-written and engaging this novel was ... the characters are fantastic, very interesting and believable. The plot moved fast and the story itself was quite good. I was also impressed that Roth created a romance here that I thought was fairly good for a YA novel - most YA novel romances are cheesy and annoying. Not this one. I actually really liked this couple and how their relationship played out. It felt fairly honest and real to me.

I really like the world that Roth created in this novel - the factions & the political implications of the world were interesting and thought provoking. I would have liked even more details on the world of the novel - how it came to where it was, etc. I do think the book ended fairly abruptly ... which was disappointing but I am able to overlook that, given that I knew its part of a trilogy.

But, all in all, I think its a fantastic read - fast paced and wonderful! A book that you won't want to put down and will be sad when it ends! Looking forward to the next book in the series!

View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Divergent far exceeded my expectations. I picked it up on a whim while in London and am I ever glad I did. Veronica Roth weaves a story of a dystopian society that appears to be a utopia. There are five factions that each have different strengths. Everyone grows up in the faction of their parents. However, when they come of age, children are allowed to pick their factions. Most children stay in the faction they grew up in. Tris, the main character, decides not to. She chooses a faction known for their daring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my other blogger friends, Jenny, hated this so much she gave me her copy to do with what I would. :) But I've seen so many good reviews that I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine hating this one but I've had a couple of friends who were not fans. I'll be interested to see what you think about it when you get around to reading it!

    ReplyDelete