Monday, October 24, 2011

Review: Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

Saving CeeCee HoneycuttSaving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I want to say upfront that I suspect I would have loved this book had I read it before The Secret Life of Bees. There are a great deal of similarities between that book and this one. Unfortunately, I loved The Secret Life of Bees quite a bit more than this one. This is a really nice little book but it fails to live up to its promise. It just isn't as good at other books with similar themes and circumstances.

The writing, plot and characters were fine but the novel never went into the depths of the themes and situations in the novel which made it feel more like a fluffy, beach read than the complex novel it could have been. It was nice and sweet but never went anywhere beyond the surface. It definitely has southern charm, a sweet little story and nice characters ... but nothing that really made it great. It wasn't nearly as effective as similar novels that I've read. I kept hoping that it was coming ... some depth, some emotional exploration, some real examination of the issues ... but it never came. Which is a shame - this book could have been so much more than just good.

If you enjoy light, easy to read southern fiction without a lot of depth or examination, you'll adore this book. There’s nothing wrong with the book per se, but it definitely didn’t live up to my expectations. I was hoping for more. I should also add that most of my book-ish friends seemed to love this book so perhaps it just didn't work for me but might work for you!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment