Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Review: The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

The Complete PersepolisThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I kept hearing about Persepolis and what a fantastic graphic novel it was so I decided it was time for me to get my hands on a copy and read it. It's really more than a graphic novel - it is also autobiography, history and a social/cultural commentary. The graphics are very well done - they are piercing and really tell this story so well. I loved the historical aspects of the novel - they were fascinating and the graphic novel genre really made that history accessible.

I enjoyed reading this book but it never really took me to that place that you want a book to take you to. I just kept thinking, OK - the great stuff must be just around the corner, I like this stuff but where is the great stuff. And, unfortunately, it just never came for me. Something felt like it was missing. I still haven't quite pinpointed what that might be. I enjoyed seeing the journey, learning about the history, etc. but it just didn't connect with me the way I'd hoped. This is only the second graphic novel that I've read. I loved the first one but this one was underwhelming, especially after hearing so many of my bookish friends rave about it. I wish I'd loved it more. I think it is a good, solid read but nothing that struck me as amazing.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment