Sunday, August 28, 2011

Review: Domestic Violets by Matthew Norman

Domestic VioletsDomestic Violets by Matthew Norman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What a fantastic read! I think that really sums up how I felt about this novel. It's just wonderful - hilarious, compelling, and laugh out loud funny! I've heard Matthew Norman compared to Jonathan Tropper which I totally get ... they have a similar vibe about them. Funny, sarcastic, rather smart. If you like Tropper, I suspect that you'll like this novel as well. I think this one may almost be better than Tropper's This Is Where I Leave You. During my review for that novel, I called it wry, sarcastic, and witty - all of which is also true of this one!

It is very rare that an author is able to make me laugh out loud ... but Matthew Norman had me chuckling throughout this book. I liked the plot - found it to be interesting and unique in a number of ways. But, what I loved the most was the characters. Wow. Matthew Norman truly created an amazing cast of characters in this novel. The interactions and complexities of these characters really are the heart of the novel. And the main character, Tom Violet, is one of those characters that I wish I knew in my real life - charming, funny, self-deprecating! It was kind of sad when I reached the end of the book and had to say goodbye to Tom Violet and his world!

Although extremely funny, the most fascinating aspect of this novel was the weaving of a touching story into the humor that is so central to the book. The ending was quite bittersweet for me - I was sad to leave the world that Matthew Norman created. For me, this book has it all - humor, realism and heart! I definitely recommend this book. I think readers will be charmed by Tom Violet and the other characters in the book!

I will be actively awaiting a second Matthew Norman book ... I think he has amazing literary potential. I can't wait to see what he has for us next!

NOTE: NOTE: I received the galley proof of this novel from the publisher, Harper Collins, for review consideration.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment