Monday, May 16, 2011

Review: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I FallBefore I Fall by Lauren Oliver

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I went into the reading of this book with VERY high expectations given all of the buzz that I was hearing about how wonderful it was. The book was good but it wasn't GREAT. I enjoyed it but it just didn't quite make it to great for me.

I think the book was insightful and compelling but the pacing felt off to me. It was so slow and repetitive at times (I know that a large part of the plot insists on the repetitive aspect of the narrative but it didn't add to the reading experience for me). Character development (and growth) was GREAT - it was really what made this book special. I really felt like all of the characters were well drawn, in all of their complexity.

Although I'm an adult, the inner dialogue and life experiences of a teenager that were described in the novel felt very 'true.' I was taken back to my own high school experience a number of times while reading the novel.

I love the message of the novel and I think that its a message we should all be reminded of ...

Overall, a great YA novel that I think teens AND adults would enjoy! I definitely recommend it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment