Saturday, September 4, 2010

Review: The Scent of Rain and Lightening by Nancy Pickard

The Scent of Rain and LightningThe Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'd heard an interview with Nancy Pickard talking about this book and it sounded wonderful so I'd added it to my TBR list. When it became available at the library, I eagerly jumped on it and dug in. Overall, this was a good, solid book. Nothing outstanding but nothing terrible. Just solid good reading.

The novel has an excellent sense of place - Kansas just comes alive on the page as described by Nancy Pickard. That sense of place was one of my favorite things about this reading experience. Another thing that I liked about the novel was the characters. Although none of them really jumped off the page quite as much as Kansas did for me, they were all good, solid, well written characters. They had interest and complexity. They kept me interested in continuing to read.

The writing was good ... very solid. Nothing flowery or overly expressive but nice, solid writing. The mystery itself was well written. I actually didn't suspect the truth until the big reveal which was really nice. Mysteries rarely surprise me any more but this one really did.

In the end, I enjoyed this one but didn't love it. It was good. It was SOLID. I know that I've said that over and over but that is my ultimate impression of this book ... solid. If you love a good mystery or have an affinity for a good sense of place, I definitely recommend this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment