Sunday, September 5, 2010

Mini Reviews ...

I have a few mini reviews to share today because I've been sooo busy and have had little time to get on here and post reviews. So, I ended up with a few pretty short reviews but I still wanted to share so here are some 'hit and run' reviews for you ...

The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1)The Black Echo by Michael Connelly

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Excellent mystery/crime fiction! I am so glad that I got keyed in to Michael Connelly and gave his Harry Bosch series a try! It was fantastic reading! Looking forward to starting the second book in the series!



Oprah: A BiographyOprah: A Biography by Kitty Kelley

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I rarely read these unauthorized biography but I was curious about this one, particularly when I heard how upset Oprah was about it. I found it to be a decent escape. There wasn't anything earth shattering to me although I will say the book confirmed many of my suspicions about Oprah. I think the book was entirely too long and could have been edited better. It was much less full of 'revelations' than I'd expected, frankly. Anyone who has watched Oprah through the years should already be aware of most of this - particularly her extreme ambition, her relationships with Steadman and Gayle, and her piles of money. Is she spoiled? Is she a control freak? Is she amazingly successful? Is she a philanthropist? Is she more important to herself than anything else? I think its safe to say that Oprah is flawed (just like all of us). I can appreciate the good that she's done while also understanding that much of that was in an effort to support her empire. This book is a nice escapist read for someone interested in Oprah and her world.


Unexpectedly, MiloUnexpectedly, Milo by Matthew Dicks

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


Although I loved 'Something Missing', I could just never get into this one. I REALLY wanted to because it had such an interesting premise and I adore Matthew Dicks. But, I just couldn't force myself to keep reading it. maybe I'll revisit it again later and hope that my perspective has changed enough that I'll enjoy it. But, for now, I'm letting it go ...


The Little StrangerThe Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


Unfortunately, I just couldn't ever get into this book. I tried for over 100 pages and I just never came to care about the book AT ALL. I was forcing myself to finish it and then I decided to just let it go because I wasn't interested anymore. I just didn't care to finish. I wish I'd enjoyed it as much as I'd hoped.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment