Friday, September 7, 2012

Review: Broken Harbour by Tana French

Broken Harbour (Dublin Murder Squad, #4)Broken Harbour by Tana French

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Tana French does it again! I love how consistently fantastic her novels are ... each and every one of them is well worth the read! She is able to put literary fiction, psychological thrillers and police procedurals together in a way that is unlike anything I've ever read! Although the whodunit pieces of her novels are always compelling, I think its the why and how of her novels where she really stands out. She gives you more than just a mystery or a good police whodunit. Although those aspects are fantastic, the way she gets into the minds of the characters and the way that she explores humanity at its best and worst is where she truly excels!

Although I think The Likeness was and is my favorite of her novels, this one is probably now my second favorite. First and foremost, Tana French is a fantastic writer in every way. She paces so well, making the reading experience such a pleasure. Sometimes I'm not sure where she's going but I'm having a fantastic time getting there. And then, when I get there, I'm amazed at how effectively she got me where she needed me without ever boring or frustrating me. In fact, I suspect that Tana French could write about pretty much anything and I'd love every moment of reading it. Something about her writing style really resonates with me. And, frankly, she is incredibly skilled at bringing people and places alive in ways that most writers can only dream of. Although she does places well in all of her novels, this one is the best yet! The setting of this novel is as much a character as any of the people in the novel.

This novel just got under my skin, making me question everything and anything. There was much in this novel that I could relate to as a mother, wife, child, friend, etc. It was successful for me BECAUSE of how it made me see how close any one of us can be to the brink of so many disastrous things - homelessness, hardship, and even the unspeakable. It was an eye opening and thoughtful look at the economy's impact to individual lives as well as the impact of madness to individuals, families and communities.

I definitely recommend this novel. It's a fantastic novel that will not only keep you on the edge of your seat but it will also compel you to think about things you may not have considered. Really ... this is a well done novel that I can't say enough good things about. I can't wait to see what she has coming for us in the next novel!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment