Friday, April 6, 2012

Review: Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

Steve JobsSteve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Going into this book, I really knew nothing more about Steve Jobs other than his being all things Apple and his dying last fall. I'd heard he was odd but I didn't really know what that meant. Until now. This book really helped me to better understand Steve Jobs as a man, as an entrepreneur and as a business leader. I found it to be a compelling read, with good pacing.

Steve Jobs was obviously a genius. And a marketing whiz. He brought amazing things to our culture with Apple. He changed the way that we do things in a truly significant way.

But, he was also incredibly selfish, difficult and unusual man. One whose choices in his personal life astounded me. In almost every way, he was simply an ass. I found him utterly fascinating while also being incredibly grateful that i never had to work with him or even know him. The dichotomy between his incredible creativity and vision with his many flaws is just fascinating. I didn't quite understand before reading this book what a character Steve Jobs really was ...

I think Walter Isaacson did a great job of portraying all sides of Steve Jobs - the good, the bad, and the REALLY ugly. I appreciated how well he blended the multiple facets of his personality into the book, making it come alive for me. And I like that he gave many different perspectives from a variety of people that had encountered Steve Jobs during his life.

Overall, I really enjoyed this biography of Jobs. I would recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Steve Jobs, Apple, or is interested in particularly influential people. It's a very readable book that kept my attention throughout. And, ultimately, it helped me to better understand this very complex man who literally changed the world with his vision and entrepreneurial spirit!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment