Monday, November 29, 2010

Review: Kings of the Earth by Jon Clinch

Kings of the Earth 









Kings of the Earth by Jon Clinch

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I've heard fantastic things about Jon Clinch so I was really looking forward to Kings of the Earth. It sounded like something right up my alley. And it really was a great read ... it was fantastic!


Jon Clinch is a very talented writer ... his writing just made the scenes come alive for me. I didn't want to put the book down ... the writing, the character development, the weaving of time ... it's all wonderful! Clinch brought the world of the three brothers alive for me and I felt as if I was part of the book myself at times. The squalor and poverty were so beautifully portrayed that I almost felt as if I could feel and smell the farm. At first I was worried about the way that Clinch tells the story - through multiple voices that jump around in time. However, it was ultimately a really effective tool and gave the book something special. And, I never became confused or frustrated by the jumping. Clinch did a masterful job of weaving the story together into a cohesive and outstanding story.


In the end, I was sad to put it down ... I didn't want the narrative to end. The complexity of the storytelling and the writing made this book one of my favorites of the year! I can't wait to go pick up Finn which I also hear is fantastic! This is a great novel that I definitely recommend!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment