Friday, December 11, 2015

Review: The Star Side of Bird Hill by Naomi Jackson

The Star Side of Bird HillThe Star Side of Bird Hill by Naomi Jackson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First let me talk about the cover on this novel - it's so amazing! Just jumps off hte shelf at you! And it's perfect for this novel! It just rocks! This was a fascinating take on the coming of age story and it centers on two girls who face a lot of challenges as they maneuver through family, friends and community.

The representation of teens in this novel was really fantastic - it offered a balanced view of them which I found refreshing. Teens can be so challenging and putting that myriad of emotions onto paper can be difficult, I'm sure. Naomi Jackson excelled at that in this novel.

The characters were so fleshed out and realistic - flawed in all their beauty. I loved the character of Hyacinth (the girls' grandmother) who really had that charm and strength that a good grandmother should have. Her devotion to her girls was one of the most beautiful relationships in the novel.

I loved how this novel helped to teach me a bit about Barbados and the challenges someone might have after living in America and coming to live in Barbados. The novel explored family, friendship, and depression so well. Although not a fast paced novel, this was a nice, gentle exploration of interesting people and their interesting lives.

I highly recommend this novel - it's so good! I can't wait to read more of this novelists work in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment