Sunday, September 21, 2014

Review: The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber

The Book of Strange New ThingsThe Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've waited a bit to write this review to see how this novel set with me after thinking about it some more. I am still struggling with rating this one but I'm going with a 4 although 4.5 is probably closer to how I feel about this one. I have heard a few people say that if you liked The Sparrow, you might enjoy this one. Although I think they are ultimately very different books, I do understand the inclination to pair the two of them. And agree that they are both books that should be read by all ... although I'd say the Sparrow is a bit better overall.

There are a lot of BIG themes (religion, faith, humanity, etc) being explored here but I think Michel Faber did an amazing job exploring those themes while remaining even and non-preachy. Given my own complicated relationship with religion, I found Faber's exploration of religion to be even handed and fair. The book gave me a great deal to think about and stuck with me for a few days.

Michel Faber is obviously a deft story teller who is able to take a reader on a journey into this amazing new world that he's created that feels completely and utterly real. He's a fantastic writer and I really enjoyed all aspects of the story he told with this novel. I found this book to be extremely readable and loved every moment that I spent reading this one.

The novel will be published on October 28th and I highly recommend you give it a read. It's a wonderful story that is also intelligent and well written! I highly recommend this one!

NOTE: This novel was sent to me by the publisher for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment